Tuesday, May 20, 2014

SuperStars {Finished}

After weeks of ebbs and flows...
SuperStars is finally completed and here she is in all her glory...

This quilt was inspired by Rachel Hauser's Red Red Stars Quilt at Stitched In Color
 And you can find her tutorial here.

RED is one of my favorite color and, when I first saw her quilt last December,
It was love at first sight and, I knew I would be making one...
I think this could be one of my favorite quilts so far...
SuperStars is going to someone special to me and, I am already thinking to make another one for myself...maybe with a different twist. 




I don't know if you are able to see, but there are different shades of reds, it kind of happened by accident; I ordered a few different reds and finally chose Kaffe Fassett's Vermillon shot cotton for the background and forgot to order more...so when I finally did, the red that came in the mail was from a different dye lot of course...It was slightly different in color so I decided to go along with it and use different shades of reds.


It's a nice lap size quilt, approximately 68 x 78 inches.


Happy and colorful!


If I had to change one thing...I would use a different print for the binding; I think a blue or dark grey prints would have been better. I'll keep that in mind for the next one.


To bring something different, I added a border with repeated fabrics from the quilt and,
I really like the way it turned out.


I like the blues and red together, this star block works really well with large scale prints.
I chose Deb's Feathers edge to edge as quilting pattern and I thinks it works well with the stars,
It softens the straight lines.


I was in a hurry to choose the backing and finally decided to just go with AMH - Flourish in Jester, the same backing Rachel used on hers...
I like to match the seams whenever it's possible,  here you can hardly see it.




FYI, I used the "Fast and Furious: Four-at-a-Time Flying Geese" method to make the flying geese, you can find Carrie Nelson's tutorial here. When using this method, there is no waste of fabrics.

***For the flying geese units, I had to adjust Carrie's measurements to fit Rachel's pattern;
1 square (red fabric) 7 3/4 x 7 3/4" inches
4 squares (print fabric) 4 1/8 x 4 1/8" inches
Follow Carrie's instructions to make the flying geese units,
Then trim the flying geese at 6 1/2 x 3 1/2" inches, then go back to Rachel's Sawtooth Star tutorial to follow the instructions to finish the star block.

Best, Maryse





Linking up to Katy at The Littlest Thistle for The Finish-Along-Quarter-2-Finish-Party
You can find the original list here





13 comments:

  1. Maryse it's absolutely fantastic. No wonder you want to make one for yourself. I want to make one for me:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful quilt! I love those different shades of red, it gives a whole extra dimension to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love the different reds and your quilting design. The rounded feathers really do soften the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The darker reds are a great effect, we love happy accidents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt! I love the dark red back-ground against the bold prints--and great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for showing us this wonderful quilt, and for posting back to the tute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous finish, Maryse! I think using the different dye lots for the background was a happy accident, because it really adds a lot of interest to the quilt. Looks like it was planned! Love that scrappy border. You sure did an amazing job of matching up that seam on the gorgeous backing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a beautiful quilt! I just love star quilts and yours is gorgeous. I really like the scrappy border it really brings is all together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful quilt, and so bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. Stopping by from 2QTR finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I admired Rachel's red quill too - I like the border you have added, it finishes it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The different reds give the quilt character....I love your floral prints but my favorite is the cheetah fabric in the block ad binding....lovely! Pinned.

    ReplyDelete