Tuesday, June 17, 2014

AMH Honeycomb {quilt top finished}

I have been wanting to do something with these fabrics for a while,
this is the second attempt actually...
Earlier this year I started a quilt-along using this fabric collection and didn't get far with it,
It just didn't feel right and has been put aside.
These fabrics work so well all together. Isn't it pretty?





Very recently, I was going trough this book I forgot I had;
  Fresh*Quilting by Malka Dubrawsky
And saw this beautiful Honeycomb Quilt, I was inspired...
I thought it had AMH Field Study writing all over it...


Here, sewing the hexagons together into columns...




Then, sewing columns together...

By the way, I love my large ironing board. All it is is a piece of plywood (22 X 59") covered with cotton batting and canvas. It just sits on top of my regular ironing board and, lay against the wall when I am not using it. I made this one myself last summer.




Then, sewing the columns together...








Have you ever made your own Spray-Starch?
 I finally gave it a try and I honestly think I won't need to buy Spray-Starch again.
It works just as good as "the popular brand" and very inexpensive to make and best of all,
Contains no chemicals.
There are a few recipe out there, pretty much one and the same, but this one caught my attention.
I used a drop of lavender essential oil and, it smell so good when ironing.

*I felt the need to come back to this post and add this;*


{Two things; I believe that the fact this mix is heated keeps the starch from separating from the water and falling in the bottom for a lot longer period of time. And when used on darker fabric, it doesn't leave a white residue on the fabric.}


It was relatively quick to put together and not that difficult at all.

I think I will hand quilt this one...







Linking up to:

Martha at Weekend Doings for the Slow Blog Party.:))


And, linking up to Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social #25

And, linking up to Quilt Story for Fabric Tuesday

And to Gemma at Pretty Bobbins for I Quilt Thursdays

And to Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday

And also to Marelize at Stitch By Stitch for Anything goes Mondays #68




25 comments:

  1. Pretty is an understatement. It is stunning! The colours are great. I've got the same book at home, this looks very inspirational, thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt, what perfect stitching! So funny, I bought a large hexagon template in Jo Ann's when we were in Florida, and I've been googling how to machine stitch them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your honeycomb quilt. I may have to add one to my give it a try list. Thanks for the spray starch recipe too. It is something I have wanted to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's lovely. Sitting on that green grass is just begging for some picnic action. It's a real pretty, delight. You should be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I adore AMH and this past winter made a herringbone quilt with only AMH fabrics. I love your hexies - the y seams weren't too hard to sew? Which template did you use to cut them out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Les couleurs sont très jolies. Et bravo pour avoir tout cousu à la machine. Je suis en train de piquer une courtepointe où j'ai aussi du marquer presque toutes les extrémités avec des points de repère. C'est long mais ça donne de beaux résultats. J'ai tellement ri quand j'ai vu ton "pouch-pouch": j'ai le même à la maison, rempli de fécule de maïs pour faire du starching maison. Mais pas de lavande pour moi, je déteste cette odeur. Je ne me suis pas cassée la tête, j'ai juste mélange de l'eau et de la fécule directement, je n'ai rien fait cuire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. I've never tried to machine stitch hexies. Was it terribly difficult to machine piece the rows together?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is stunning- and it ALMOST makes me brave enough to try some hexies...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks amazing! Thank you for the photos showing your technique for joining the pieces - I really want to have a go at this now:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the honeycomb quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very, very pretty, and so much brighter than the one in the book. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful top! I love all the fabrics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Also, what is the recipe for the starch? mmmjjjfff@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt top! The AMH gives it so much personality. I have the same book and that quilt has been on my wish list for quite a while. I hope I get to it soon. Yours looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your scrappy quilt. It looks like it takes a lot of patience to make this pattern. Your seams are all so straight and clean. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE THIS QUILT!!! Love the hexi's Love the Colors...just beautiful! This is my first visit to your blog and just love your work. I added myself as a GFC follower. Stop by sometime: myplvl.blogspot.com I also run a fun linky on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I do adore this beauty, Maryse. Hexagon quilts are so worth the extra effort and those AMH fabrics are perfect for this. Beautiful job! Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my! this is absolutely stunning! AMH fabrics are so decadent aren't they?

    Thank you so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! It is gorgeous. AMH Field Study is my favorite of all her lines. Did you have to have inset seams for the hexagons?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, I like your version, too! My daughter sleeps under her king/queen every night. Interesting, this is one of the very few quilts that I didn't hand quilt!
    And I don't make starch, but then I don't use it, either :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, your quilt is gorgeous, I want the same one! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is absolutely amazing! I love love love it. Perfect fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the machine piecing and the ironing board which you have made. I never starch but maybe I should try it.

    ReplyDelete