Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Man Quilt {Top} Finished


The plan for this one was to make a quilt for my husband that is intent to be used on the boat,
using a range of fabrics that would give a manly look and bring fun and pleasant contrast to the entire beige cabin.
The materials I used; different prints from Parson Gray, not what I would usually pick...but since this one has a very masculine purpose, it's just perfect.
I added some Shot Cottons and other prints,
 Different black shades and dark grays for the background.
I couldn't think of anything else for a man...totally appropriate.:)


I had in mind a simple design and finally settled on Ups And Downs from Sarah Fielke's book;
Hand Quilted With Love


I did all the cutting first, quite unusual for me but since the fabrics was going to be put together randomly, it was better to have all the pieces cut up beforehand,
well mixed and divided into separate piles.


{Assembling the block}
When I first started to sew these blocks together, I was doing a 9 patch block as suggested by Sarah and then I decided to go with a 36 patch block, I don't know...I guess I saw some advantage doing it this way. So instead of making 100 nine-patch blocks, I made 30 36-patch blocks...
Sounds better doesn't it?
I first arrange the various pieces randomly in a way that looks good to me,
No particular technique here, all put together by a web piecing method.




Sometimes, even if you are super careful...you get something that look like this;


 I personally don't like to leave it like this, undo a few stitches takes only a few seconds,
then sew it back correctly.


It's quite big...90 X 90 inches


My husband surprised me with a new camera last weekend, it takes really good pictures.:)

Best, Maryse


Linking up to:


Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social #26


Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday


Pretty Bobbins for I Quilt #30


To Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle And Thread Thursday







<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11403119/?claim=wa5nv2dpuh7">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

20 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous and very manly! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handsome quilt top, Maryse! Love all the detailed shots of your progress with the blocks. And yes, 30 blocks does sound better than 100. Congratulations on the new camera.... And the beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for a man's quilt! I unpick those seams as well when they catch, my husband thinks I'm pedantic but I just can't leave it like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific quilt! I agree with the bigger block strategy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out great! I absolutely love how it looks with the Parson Gray fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful top- the fabrics really do well in the pattern you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great quilt. I found it hard to find a good pattern and the right fabric for a man. Your is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Wow wow wow!! Love how manly it is, and that pattern really is so nice isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. With a house full of boys I love to see a good masculine quilt. This one is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful quilt. Great pattern and absolutely perfect fabric choices. Wow; just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look with the darker fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a really fabulous quilt! I surprised my husband with a large cushion (pillow) for his birthday today, made out of fabric purchased in Florida - a nice souvenir!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt for a man. I'm making one for my husband but it's not as lovely as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this. It is totally perfect for a "man quilt" And the pattern you picked was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great quilt! Your fabric choices are perfect! I have four men in my life and am always on the lookout for quilt inspiration for them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is lovely, such a difference to the picture in the book. I have a few nephews after quilts and this may be jsut the most ideal pattern. Really lovely fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the colours you have chosen, they make for a striking quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maryse I love your sense of colour and this is great pattern/fabric combo for a "manly" quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this quilt. Your fabric choice is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great masculine quilt! You did a great job on this. We don't see many guy quilts on the blogging website, so this is just wonderful to see how yours turned out. Thanks for sharing it. Does he love it? Those are such great colors and pattern designs you selected. (celiaambrose@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete