Tuesday, August 12, 2014

AMH Honeycomb Quilt {Finish}


I finally put the last stitches in the binding last week...
It's been washed and tumble dried to get it's final crinkly and cozy look...





My husband put up my new clothes line today...I am loving it.:)



 This is the first time that I stitch a quilt by hand entirely, I manage to have the quilting done in less than three weeks. This was a first time but not the last...I will definitely do it again.

It's pretty amazing really!


Look at this beautiful jagged border, don't you love this?

{Backing}

I used one fabric for the backing of the quilt; Spotted in the Crowd in Victoria by Anna Maria Horner. 

As I said before, I like to match the seams whenever it's possible ("professional deformation" of my early years in sewing school). 
You can hardly see where the seam is...I like that.:))

{Binding}



I used Fine Feathered in Denim by AMH for the binding, it complements beautifully both front and back.



I love everything about this quilt.



Quilt {DATA}

Name: AMH Honeycomb
Size: Approx. 89" x 90"
Fabrics: Field Study by Anna Maria Horner
Backing: Anna Maria Horner - Spotted in the Crowd in Victoria
Binding: Anna Maria Horner - Fine Feathered Denim
Quilting: Big stitch hand quilting 
Thread: Valdani Pearl Cotton no.8 Variegated in Black Night
Pattern: I used a hexagon ruler and cut as many units I needed but was inspired by Malka Dubrawsky's Honeycomb Hexagon quilt.

*You can see previous post about this quilt here and here.


-♥-

Linking up this week to:


Heather & Megan at QuiltStory for Fabric Tuesday

Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social no.33

Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday

Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday

Amanda at crazy mom quilts for Finish it up Friday

Afton at Quilting Mod for TGIFF

Catherine at Knotted Cotton for the Slow Blog Party

To Katy at The Littlest Thistle for The Finish-Along-Quarter-3-Finish-Party and you can find the original FAL Q-3 list here.






42 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Really like how you've done the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out so, so good. So good. The hand quilting really makes it.

    P.S. I need a higher clothesline to take photos of my quilts. Can your husband come do mine too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt! Love those big hand quilting stitches, it makes a lovely line for your eyes to follow, and the edges are very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful Maryse! Truly a great quilt made even better with hand quilting. You've inspired me even more to have a go at hand quilting...hmmm, what to hand quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt! I like the hand quilting, wish I could find more time to do some of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stunning - love how all her fabrics work together in a colourful chaotic way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It truly is a feast for the eyes, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! I love the hexagons, the hand quilting, and the binding! I'm also enjoying seeing all these different quilts lately using AMH fabrics. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazingly gorgeous quilt, fabrics and quilting!!! Stunning!!!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so beautiful. I like your washing line too! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is just fabulous! Love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Machine pieced and hand quilted - it looks lovely. How many balls of Perle 8 did you need? Three Sheep Studio have some gorgeous colours to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finish! I like how you did the edge on the sides. Beautiful fabrics. Awesome job on the matching on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its beautiful- love the hand quilting

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a real Beauty!!! Love the handquilting too

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous quilt, Maryse! I absolutely love everything about it. Congratulations on the hand quilting, especially. Love the angled edges, too. Give your hubby a pat on the back from me for putting up your new clothes line!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome Quilt! Love the binding too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just lovely, Maryse!! Love the simplicity of the big stitch quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maryse - I got so excited when i saw what this post was about! I am so in love with your Honeycomb quilt! Every detail and every bit of hand quilted love you put into making it is just wonderful! What beautiful pictures you took too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my! This is just the most beautiful thing I've seen on the internet all week! I love it. Can't believe you quilted it by hand as well (even though I love EPP and hand quilting equally!). Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a beautiful quilt. I love the pointy edges. The colors are yummy. The back is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful quilt. I love the hand stitching you did. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on a beautiful finish! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that that one edge is "jagged" while the rest appear to be squared off from what I can tell. What a unique idea! And that hand quilting! I'm a sucker for hand quilting.

    Also, I'm totally jealous of your ability to match up the print. I always get frustrated working with yardage and just want to get it "over with". Do you have any tips or tricks you could share?

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so brave to do a hexi quilt. I absolutely LOVE it. What a lot of hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's lovely! And the feather print you chose for the binding is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so impressive -- I LOVE that you pattern matched the seam for your backing print, and I am in absolute awe of your perfectly executed jagged binding edges. It's gorgeous. Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is awesome! And all of the binding detail is gorgeous, I don't think I would have the patience for that.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful, well done for doing all that lovely hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow. This is such a bold quilt. It turned out great. What an amazing amount of effort you put into it. I can't imagine all that zigzag binding you did :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous, and one very big quilt :) I am amazed at how quickly you got through that hand quilting. Love the jagged binding :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is just fantastic - the ziggy zaggy edge is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can't disagree with you. This quilt is really pretty amazing. I admire the beautiful hand quilting, and that jagged border if great too. You ought to be so proud of this. You've done the sensational fabrics justice.

    ReplyDelete
  34. WaHooo! Maryse! Not at all surprised that your quilt has been featured again on Needle & Thread - It's so very wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, how do you get so many huge and amazing quilts finished so quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this too!!! All your quilts go to my 'to do' list! Thank you for inspiration! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lush :) and I love the hand quilting and the zigzag border.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for linking up this beautiful quilt, Maryse -- it deserves another look for sure. Love the simple quilting and admire your courageous binding job!!

    ReplyDelete