Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Man Quilt {Finish}

I started this quilt back in April and it feels so good to finally mark this one as "Finished"...
This one is for my beloved husband, you can read the previous post about this quilt here. 

Prepare yourself for a few pictures!




I got a kick out of mixing River Shine by Amy Butler along with her husband's fabrics...





I just love the various bridges design, it reminds me of all the different bridges we pass under when navigating on the Intracoastal Waterway, quite relevant since this one will be used on the boat.


As for the quilting design, I chose Deb's Feathers (again) I love it and I just can't get enough of it...


Backing: Curious Nature Starcomb in Stones(Parson Gray)



Regarding the binding I finally chose Quilter's Linen in Charcoal, it's a safe choice and works fine. 


The original quilt size from the book was 90 in. square.

Along the way, It seems that I decided to add a row to make it longer, (I don't know why) and totally forgot about it until I took the measures for the backing...(the fabric was tight) no matching seams this time.


That's why I don't like to work on different projects at a time, my mind can't remember what it was thinking weeks or months ago.



Quilt {DATA}

Name: The Man Quilt (I might rename this one)
Size: 90" x 105" in.
Fabrics: Parson Gray fabric mix(David Butler), Shot Cotton mix(Kaffe Fassett), River Shine(Amy Butler), Bridgetown in black(Violet Craft), Quilter's Linen in Charcoal(Robert Kaufman), Cotton Couture in black(Michael Miller), Black Zig Zag(Dear Stella)
Backing: Starcomb in Stones(Parson Gray)
Binding: Quilter's Linen in Charcoal(Robert Kaufman)
Quilting: Deb's Feathers by Cheryl's Quilt Shop, Lafayette IN
Thread: Don't have the information
Pattern: Ups and Downs by Sarah Fielke from hand quilted with love



-♥-


Linking up to:

 Quiltstory for Fabric Tuesday no.199

Freshly Pieced for WiP Wedensday

Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social no.34

My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday

Crazy Mom Quilts for for Finish it up Friday

To Katy at The Littlest Thistle for The Finish-Along-Quarter-3-Finish-Party and you can find the original FAL Q-3 list here.






32 comments:

  1. Maryse - the finished quilt is magnificent! I love the combination of fabrics you chose as well as the design and quilting you did! I bet your dear husband is over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beauty! I love how you have used the dark fabrics andnd the Amy Butler/Parson Gray combination is fantastic. I bet your husband is delighted:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great...wonderful fabrics and a wonderful pattern! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the subtle muted shades-parson Gray is a particular favourite of mine. I'm sure this will be a much loved quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning, a beautiful quilt made with love. A real delight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turned out wonderfully and I think the charcoal binding looks fabulous! I don't work on more than a couple of projects at a time for the same reasons. Heck, sometimes I forget what I was going to do with the fabric I bought for a specific purpose if I buy too far in advance ;) lol Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a terriffic Man Quilt, both in pattern and fabrics! Visiting via Let's Bee Social.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is fabulous. What a great quilt for a man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about this quilt, your husband is very lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colours and prints are perfectly masculine. The quilting turned out well too - another excellent finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bravo!! What an awesome guys quilt

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! This is gorgeous! What an incredibly awesome quilt! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! I remember seeing this one when you started and it turned out ever better than I thought it would!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bravo! This is an incredibly handsome finish, Maryse. Love the fabric combinations and all the details. You made just the right choices! Your husband is a lucky guy... In sew many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cool! I love this man quilt. And I never knew Amy Butler had a fabric-designer husband. Super fun to mix them, as you shared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. gorgeous charcoals! I like your "information box" at the end. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree that the bridge designs are great. Is fantastic when you can use a fabric like that to make a connection to the quilts use. Your husband is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is amazing. Absolutely stunning, very manly and I love it. What a huge amount of work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the design and the colours of this one! It's so beautiful. Thanks for linking to TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on a wonderful finish! This is a perfect man quilt - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the pattern and the dark background fabric really sets off the design. I am working on recycling some mens shirts - this might be a perfect way to use the leftover scraps. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was just admiring your awesome quilt and the quilting before I saw that you had it done by Cheryl's Quilt Shop in Lafayette. That's like 10 minutes from where I live! It was a nice surprise. So far I've quilted all my own quilts, but if I ever have someone do it for me, I'll have to remember her. It's lovely! — Christy

    (sorry about the previous deleted comment; it's from my old blog)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for showcasing a fabulous quilt for a guy -- I'm always looking for ideas on that front!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful tones! I admire quiet tones in others' quilts, but can almost only work with vivid colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love everything about this man quilt! Great fabric and design choices.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the wave of the pattern, not overly difficult to achieve as far as cutting goes..I imagine you have to be careful with placement but so very effective.. a bold and interesting quilt. Beautiful in a masculine way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gotta love a family fabric mashup! Congrats on all your finishes :o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this quilt! Beautiful colour selection.

    ReplyDelete