Monday, September 8, 2014

Around The World Blog Hop & WIP



I was tagged by Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation to join in the Around the World Blog Hop that invaded the blogosphere recently...
Kelly does a fabulous job hosting the NTT link up (Needle and Thread Thursday) every week. 
There are four questions to answer but first...here's a bit about me.


My name is Maryse, I have been sewing and making things as long as I can remember. From an early age I was drawn to fabrics and colorful buttons. Five years ago, In the spirit of recycling my daughter's old felted wool sweaters, I made my first quilt, a warm felted wool lap size quilt (sorry no picture of that one...) 
 I discovered a new fascinating world!
I live in Florida but still get to spend my summers in Canada and we spend some time as well in Indiana, where my husband is from.



What am I working on?



I am working on a couple of girls quilts for two nieces, one is a flowering snowball and the other one is a star quilt. Both tops are done, I just completed the Flowering Snowball quilt top yesterday, I was worried that the quilts might be a bit tight to fit properly on a twin size bed so I added a scrappy border and I like it even more, I like how it frames and outlines the quilts. 


Using scraps, I paper pieced their names and it will be include as part of the backing of their quilts, one more name to go.




And here, maybe a small project...Playing with scraps.



I try to finish every project I start so these are the only projects on my table right now. I haven't decided on what I will be doing next...



How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I don't think my work is much different from others, my quilts are quite traditional with maybe a modern twist. I truly love some of the modern quilts I see around, but what I prefer is a mix of the two. I have been quilting for five years now and my work continue to evolve and change every quilts I make. I like to use as many fabrics as possible, I like to work on big projects and do mostly big quilts.


Why do I write/create what I do?

I started this blog to connect with peoples that have the same interest as me. To connect with folks that actually understands the process of making quilts and the work involve into it, to share my work and ideas and hoping it inspires others along the way. 
This blog is a record of my quilting journey. 


Quilting for me is not a race, I like to enjoy the different steps that goes into the making.  



How does my writing/creative process work?

Nothing special here, It always starts with an idea, a pattern or even a template...Sometimes I'm just inspired by the work of others. Then comes the fabric choices, I use prints and colors that I love, maybe a new line, I like to mix fabrics and textures together. Most of the time I cut my fabric as I go, it works for me,  sometimes I change my mind along the way and might take a different course and do something completely different. I like to use a design wall and build the quilt piece by piece from the center, play with fabrics until I am pleased with it. 
And sometimes I just mix fabrics randomly (or almost)...





Now it's my turn to tag and I picked Ingrid at Sewing Lab, and  Cari at There's a Thread, be sure to visit their blogs and see what they are up to...They will be posting on Monday the 15th.

Thanks for stopping by today! Enjoy the rest of your week!

Best wishes, Maryse

21 comments:

  1. Lovely washing line shot! Nice to read how you caught the quilting bug too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Quilting for me is not a race" - wonderful to hear that. Each one which you create is a special creation and you invest yourself in it. Not only do I like your quilts but also the fact that you choose to finish each project you start, working on just one or two at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post, Maryse! and of course, you know I think your quilts are just beautiful!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have got some lucky nieces! Those two match-y quilts are awesome. The star is my favorite... the star is always my favorite! Never enough star quilts! Thanks for sharing all of your beautiful quilts with us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I loved revisiting some of these quilts. I wish I could have seen your recycled wool quilt - I've always wanted to do something like that. I think you have a unique design sensibility even if it's hard to articulate. I always love what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that modern fat cross and still obsessed with your flowing snowball. Inquired about template they will let me know when they are back in stock! I agree with you about using as many fabrics as possible! Big fab of controlled scrappy looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Lovely comment. I tried to explain my thoughts and then saw that you said it perfectly: controlled scrappy look!

      Delete
  7. Hi Maryse! I'm your big fan! I love all your quilts and I think you differ with the most beautiful colour/fabric choises with great patterns. For ex. in the start quilt you had fantastic idea to use some darker reds among the red for the background. I like how your quilts are 'busy' but not too much, there is a rythm and repeat but still they don't look 'all the same blocks'. Thank you for inspiration! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always nice to know the person on a more personal level when we are excited and look forward to reading their posts. I so enjoy seeing and reading about your quilting adventures and love your style of quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maryse, seeing so many of your quilts in one post is really an awesome sight to behold. I Love everything about your work! you have a wonderful design and color sense, as well as amazing skills! It is really fun to read your answers to the questions and know a little more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's nothing more inspiring than your beautiful quilts blowing on the line! I just love them all...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful quilts! I love your modern fat cross quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilts are beautiful! I'm especially drawn to your Heather Ross makes, aren't they wonderful fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to see all your beautiful quilts! I especially love that first pic with them on the clothes line! And it is fabulous to see you, Maryse. And get to know a little about you. Where do you stay in Canada during the summers? I am in Ontario!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all your quilts. They are really beautiful hanging on the line. I love the many fabrics that you use.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will confess I am really a PINK girl and although I love the snowball and star quilt - I think my favorite is the last one, oh my goodness I don't know what it is about it but I'm in love

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Maryse, so nice to "meet" you. I love your classy, colourful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of your quilts are wonderful! I really love the 2 girl quilts, they are so pretty! Love that you are doing the name blocks as well. I'm going to do that the next time I make quilts for my grand daughters :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely to read all about you! Your quilts are a joy to look at! Linda

    ReplyDelete