Thursday, December 11, 2014

Star Quilt {Finish}

Initially called Star Quilt, it is now properly named: Sous Les Étoiles (Meaning; Under The Stars)
The name popped into my head while hand sewing the binding.

I made this quilt (top) this past summer and it was no.1 on my 2014 FAL Q-4 Checklist.

It's finished and ready to give to one of my niece for Christmas.
Here is a photo before the quilting.



No particular pattern for this quilt, just a few scrappy sawtooth-star block put together with a scrappy border.  Made to fit a twin size bed.





The main fabrics are from Briar Rose by Heather Ross mixed with others, some from my stash and some I bought to create the scrappy look that I love so much.


For some reasons, the thread appear to be darker than in reality  but I assure you that it's not...


Here again, I chose Deb's Feathers as quilting design, in a light pink thread. I like a dense quilting, it looks sort of flat at the moment because it's been squished in my suitcase...But after the wash and the gentle drying, you get that "popcorn" puffy texture that I am so fond of. 


I chose Frog Pond Lilac by Heather Ross as backing.


I ran a bit short with the backing fabric, so I added a strip and PP her name and made a heart using the scraps. Not my best...


And a label of course!


I am quite pleased with the result, it turns out better than I was expected.



We flew back to Canada yesterday, we will be having Christmas here, hopefully it will be a white one...
So far so good. :-)

Best, Maryse


-♡-


Linking up to:


Quiltstory for Fabric Tuesday

Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social no.50

My Quilt Infatuation for NTT

Quilt Matters for TGIFF

Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday

Confession of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Porch Swing Quilts for Santa's Sweatshop


And Linking up to The Littlest Thistle for the last quarter of the FAL-2014 And here is my original list for the 2014 FAL Q-4

24 comments:

  1. Impressive, I love the fabrics you used absolutely beautiful a real delight. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, wishing you everything you wish for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allo. Très réussi (même si je déteste le rose). Ne t'en fait pas, il y a un pied de neige, et encore 5 cm aujourd'hui. Il va sûrement en rester un paquet pour Noël. C'est très joli comme motif de piquage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely finish! I love a scrappy quilt, I'm sure your niece will love it too! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas and I hope you get the white one you hope for. here in New Zealand we hope it is sunny-rather than rain-as we are in summer.
    Love your scrappy quilt as I am sure your niece will. The colours all work so well together-love what we can do with scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the pink background. I tend to default to black backgrounds, so interesting colored backgrounds catch my eye. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always do such a beautiful job Maryse! Love the crappy pink stars against a pink background! And your quilting is so great - perfect for this quilt too! I'm sure that Lea is going to love the way you did her name on the back. A quilt to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitting here this morning drinking my coffee... I have the biggest smile on my face right now as I am reading this comment...:-)))))
      My husband just said: "Why do you have such a great smile on your face? "

      Lara, I know you meant "scrappy"...Funny!

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, I saw that and knew she would never say that! oops :)

      Delete
    3. Of all the typing bloopers..... LOL yes, definitely Scrappy!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful quilt! I love scrappy and I love stars! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful quilt, your niece is one lucky girl. I love the pink back ground. BTW, I too host a linky party on mondays and would love for you to share your projects.--Shannon with Modern Tradition Quilts

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you did on the back--so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Votre courtepointe est vraiment jolie, Maryse! Félicitations! So glad you linked up to TGIFF! Hope you have a wonderful, white Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, love your scrappy stars!! It looks so charming with the pink solid. I hope your niece loves it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous finish! I love the quilting. And love the label, too! Bien fait!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Including her name on the back was a great idea - true creativity comes from necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! Love the combination of stars and scrappy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the quilt! What a great use of scraps. I am going to post it to my inspirations page. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on such a beautiful finish. Your niece is sure to love it. And I think her name will probably be her favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous quilt :-) Enjoy your time in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it - so pretty. I like how it all comes together with the pink background. Great job!

    ReplyDelete