Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Not Quite A Granny Square {quilt top finished}

I love to cuddle under a blanket while watching a movie, we all do around here... So this year, among others, I want to make a few warm lap quilts for our TV room. It's time to say goodbye to those knotted fleece blanket I made a gazillion years ago.   


I've noticed this gate by the nature trail last year and thought this could be a good spot for a photo shoot eventually. In need of a place to take a picture of my quilt, I decided to head that way
yesterday ... Let's say it was a quick photo shoot, I kept hearing noises coming from the wooded area and that,  made me a bit nervous...

This is a no sashing version of the traditional granny square.


Once I designed the layout, the squares were sewn together into rows and then,  the rows together. I decided on three solid square between each "blocks" to keep the same ratio between the "blocks" than the classic sashed version.


On the above picture, you can see a plaid print between the blocks, they were finally discarded as it looked too traditional. I had in mind a more contemporary version.


I used different fabrics from Juliana Horner and a bit of Kaffe Fassett's shot cotton in Prune (for the center square). I love how it turned out and I am quite excited about it. Don't you love that purple square in the middle of each block?
The background is Essex Linen in Indigo, I bought this piece of fabric last year, it was one of those impulse purchase and it sat there for a while not knowing what I would do with it.


I love this quilt and this one is for "moi" and I have in mind warm and heavy.


Enjoy the rest of your week!


-♡-


I am linking up to:


Freshly Pieced    Sew Fresh Quilts   My Quilt Infatuation  Crazy Mom Quilts





16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt Maryse. I love how the colours in the blocks look with the beautiful background fabric. You made the right choice about the plaid border.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Love your choice of color for the background. Really sets of the fabrics nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty quilt - love that background fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, elle est vraiment superbe, j'en veux une ;-) j'adore le look moderne que donne le fond uniforme. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The grannies look awesome against the linen! This one will make a great addition to your TV room!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly wonderful Maryse! I love the way you Granny Squares look and the background fabric has terrific texture! Beautiful work and color sense, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great. I just love granny squares.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the blocks seem to float. If I ever make one, it will probably be with this method.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is really cool without the sashing - and yes, the purple centre square in each block helps tie them all together. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely design, the colours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this. And I think you made the right choice taking out the plaid pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt top is great and what a great photo shoot on the gate too!! I've seen such a gate in my area and so just might have to try it out too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your method and the colors are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is mega gorgeous! Thanks for the process photos and description.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! Love how you did it without the "sashing". The background fabric is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete