Wednesday, January 21, 2015

WIP {Stars and Clamshells}

As soon as I took the grannies of the wall, I started this quilt. 

It's a six-pointed star made with equilateral triangles. 
  I have been cutting a lot of triangles this past week and this is what I have done so far. The recipient is quite tall and I will probably need to add some kind of border or maybe a couple rows. We'll see... 


This is the first time I've worked with equilateral triangles and I have been looking at a few tutorials and this one from Lorna was quite helpful and gave me a good start.


I am making this quilt for a dear friend of us that has leukemia. He and his wife are one of the nicest couples we know. He believes he was born under A Lucky Star {The Star of David}… He is quite lucky as a matter of fact. Although we thought, more stars wouldn't hurt...:-)

He likes bright colors and his favorite color is red. Their TV room are decorated with jewel tones. And, of course, it had to be a star...This gives me good material to work with...
I chose Handcrafted by Alison Glass.




On a different note, my iron quit on me last weekend and the new one should be delivered late this afternoon. While waiting for it, I have been preparing templates and cutting clamshells. Almost at the same time yesterday afternoon, Rachel at Stitched In Color announced a Clambake Quilt-AlongI had not planned to be part of a quilt-along this year because there is so much I want to do already, but clamshell was on my list...I Might as well be part of it since I am making it anyway. So far, I don't really have a plan except to go through scraps first and I'll go from there. 


 That's all for now, enjoy the rest of your week!

Best, Maryse



I am linking up with:


Freshly Pieced   Sew Fresh Quilts 
  
My Quilt Infatuation





13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt! I'm sure he will love it and you are going to make him very happy! My iron was recently replace too! Isn't it awful being without one?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those bold colors! Best wishes to your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your star quilt looks lovely. And you will be amazed at how easily those triangles go together into a quilt. I have made a couple now, and while they aren't perfect (my quilts never are), I have loved how simple the process really was for a quilt that looked anything but simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is beautiful, made even more so by the story and meaning behind your selection of design. I hope it brings much love, comfort and warmth to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this star quilt, and sounds like it will be perfect for the recipient. How convenient that there is a quilt along for something you were already planning to do. And I have to say that I love your design wall with those boards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love hoe the stars are made from triangles www.crazyforpurple.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous quilt! I am sure it will help cheer your friend through his treatment and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! the red really is the perfect background with those bold colours, and just perfect for your friend by the sound of it. And I'm keen to see how your clamshells progress, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Star quilt is going to be bright and bold. That red really makes it pop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That star quilt is awesome :) I recently did a zig zag binding and had fun in the end with it... good luck with yours unless you are adding setting triangles for straight side edges.. I think the zig zag adds pizazz though :) lol First time visiting your blog and glad I did... enjoy your clamshells they look fun! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your use of colours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maryse, I hope and pray that your friend wins his fight against leukemia. The love in this quilt will surely help! I swear you make the most amazing quilts! It looks fabulous and looks like you made it with hexie stars instead of triangles.
    LOL - it is hard to resist some of the Quilt-alongs, but you know you will love your clamshell quilt!

    ReplyDelete