Monday, February 9, 2015

Clamshell WIP

I have been cutting clamshells every day this past week... I mean a lot of clamshells ... 
 I am doing the Clambake Quilt-Along at Stitched In Color

A couple years ago, I found this picture from Linen and Raspberry on Pinterest. This image has been stuck in my head ever since and I knew that this is how I would make mine eventually; with beautiful alternating rows of light and dark. 





Plan A was to piece the clamshells by machine but, after sewing the first row, I realise it wasn't working for me. I wasn't pleased with the result so I switched to plan B. The hand applique method. I am not using any foundation fabric and basically what I am doing is aligning the top of the quilt with the lines on my cutting mat and glue the clamshells carefully in place one row at the time. Then I hand stitch each clamshell using the applique method, except I am using the invisible stitch instead of the commonly used slip stitch.




It's 61 inches wide and to make a nice lap size quilt, I will keep adding rows of clamshells until I reach approx. 75 inch in length. 



*This post has been updated since I first publish this post last Monday to show the progress for 
The {Clambake} Link Party. 


Have a great week everyone!



Linking up to:


Hug-a-bit Quilts for Monday Makers

Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday


Stitched In Colors for the {Clambake} Link Party








24 comments:

  1. Great choice! I love the scrappy light and dark rows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's looking fabulous! Are you stitching by hand or machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sally! At first, the plan was to piece them by machine, but it didn't do a nice job because the clamshells are quite small, so I switched to hand sewing.

      Delete
  3. Oh My! I am Awestruck Maryse! That must have been a lot of cutting out. Does your hand feel bruised? All those wonderful Scrappy fabrics too - what a great way to show them off! (Notice, I said Scrappy? LOL) Are these English Paper Piecing? I have a vintage template for EPP shaped just like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your dedication to this quilt. I've had limited experience with clam shells, but it was enough to tell me they move around and are not easy to keep straight. You must have developed a method that works for you because yours are looking great. I do like the way you've alternated dark and light rows. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! that looks fantastic already - how big will it be?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is ALOT of clamshells! I think your plan to alternate light and dark looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I did a clamshell quilt once, using the pattern from Sandi Henderson's book. It's a challenging but rewarding project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What else can I say? It's freaking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, that is really beautiful! You are giving me inspiration to start a clamshell quilt for myself. It has been on my bucket list of quilts to make for a while now. I even bought a template at a recent retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, this is looking wonderful! and did I read that you are making it by hand? I love the scrappy-ness of it, and I really love the alternating light/dark rows! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This is going to be amazing...it already is, but when its finished it will be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks great, i would love to overcome my fears and make one

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks great, i would love to overcome my fears and make one

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks wonderful. I love your solution for the first row. I didn't want to do a strip of a single fabric and didn't really want to waste clams up that high. Thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is going to be one amazing quilt. I am impressed that you are taking the time to hand sew all the clam shells - I think I would have given up on the project!! I have heard that the smaller clam shells are a real bear to sew together by machine so you have made the right choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You are making amazing progress! I am so glad you found a method that fits you. The hand applique, blind stitch makes such a nice, elegant finish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for visiting my little blog. i am so impressed by this project and your fine work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love clamshell quilts! I don't think I have the patience to complete one though! Your project is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is incredible! I'm not sure I know the difference between invisible and slip stitch, please enlighten me because I am going to do some clamshells by hand and am not sure how to do it?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your clamshell curves are very smooth. Do you iron them over a cardboard template to help or do you have another method. Any glue?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this quilt and also have the Accuquilt die. I should start cutting from my scrap pile to make one of these beauties too!! Thanks for the inspiration. How did you make your curves? Did you have a template to glue over? Did you glue one row at a time to the first row and then stitch it down and so forth? What kind of glue did you use to glue your rows down with? I know a million questions!! Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide!!!

    ReplyDelete