Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Granny Square {Finished}

 My first finish for 2015! I'm thrilled I can finally scratch this one off the list. This one was on my FAL-Q1 list, but I didn't finish it on time ... Barely a few days after the deadline.:-)

I started this quilt last December while in Canada, you can tell by looking at it that I was influenced by the cold season. The plan was to make a warm and heavier quilt to snuggle under and keep me warm (or whoever gets its hands on it first...)  while watching tv.


The background is made of Essex Linen Blend in Indigo, I used Quilters Dream Wool and Kaufman Flannel in Plum as backing. The heaviness of the Essex Linen, the warm from the wool and softness from the thick flannel delivered ...I also used  different fabrics from Juliana Horner that I bought on a whim. It was a limited palette for me to work with, it was looking rather sad at some point but the addition of the Shot Cotton in Prune in the center of each square add a bit of pizazz.


I practically chose to make this quilt without sashing because of the thickness of the linen blend and to lessen the bulk at intersections. It worked out well using only squares, this way the weight is well distributed, but I had to be careful when ironing, it had a tendency to stretch on the bias.

It was quilted on my Janome 6600, I chose a simple stitch in the ditch with my walking foot. Then I echoed each square with a big stitch using a black cotton pearl no.8






This is the second time I use flannel as backing and I (we) really love how it feels, it's very cozy! Definitely the most comfortable quilt I made so far.



The binding is made of Shot Cotton in Prune ... It's the only thing that is bugging me so far and might redo it if I find the right fabric.


It was quite challenging to photograph, it took me three different photo shoots. The color and texture of the Essex Linen Blend was difficult to capture and finally got the best pictures at the end of the day when the sun isn't so bright.

Have a great week!

I'm linking up with:

Blossom Heart Quilts for Sew Cute Tuesday
QuiltStory for Fabric Tuesday
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday



And linking up with: 



Adrianne @ On The Windy Side for the 2015 Finish Along - Q2 Finishes

Original list here 

22 comments:

  1. This quilt looks really great! I like the use of the grey background and the plum colored centers do add a fantastic and cohesive pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your finish! I really like the combo of machine and hand quilting. This quilt does look super cozy. And I love the picture on the hammock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I recently purchased some essex linen just because I love the way it looks. I enjoyed seeing how you used it in your quilt. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a gorgeous quilt! I LOVE the simple pattern, the gray background with prune centers, the touch of chrome yellow--everything! The big stitch quilting is absolutely lovely too. It looks very snuggly and cozy.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it so much! I made a granny square as a gift for someone once, must do one for myself ;-) Such a gorgeous design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely quilt finish, Maryse! Love the gray linen! A granny square is on my list to make. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maryse - this is so lovely! I love the addition of the hand stitching in each square. It gives such a nice looking secondary texture to you quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maryse - this is so lovely! I love the addition of the hand stitching in each square. It gives such a nice looking secondary texture to you quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely finish... I too like the combination of hand & machine quilting! I also like the binding, it seems to draw out those warm colours in the granny squares! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. So wonderful Maryse, with all the colors and textures! Love your big stitch quilting accents around the granny squares too! The shot cotton centers look great and bring the whole design together. It's easy to see why you are so happy with your choice of the flannel backing - they are very soft and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! The colors and the texture of this quilt are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very lovely quilt. You really do have an eye for colour. I also like the big stitch quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous! It looks so inviting. I love the binding choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! And it does look really cosy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning quilt. Love the addition of the big stitch quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing quilt. Love the way you quilted it and the echo stitching. Beautiful colors.
    Love from Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my it's stunning! And I personally love the binding. Who was the manufacturer of that shot cotton? I need to get my hands on some. (Oh and LOVE the hand quilting.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like this a lot. I never thought of using gray for the background but it is perfect. Making a granny square quilt is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am in absolute awe of your quilt! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a beautiful quilt - the texture really comes across in the photos!

    *Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad*

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a really great quilt. I have some Essex Linen I bought a while ago because I love the look. It feels so stiff now though! I really love the colors in your quilt, and your detail stitching. Good work.

    ReplyDelete