Saturday, October 24, 2015

AMH Dresden Plate :: A Finished Quilt Top


I started this quilt on a whim after watching this video on the Janome/Anna Maria Horner website. I thought it was one of the most beautiful quilts and it looked so much fun to make ... The next day, despite all the projects in the making,  I was going through all my AMH fabrics and started to cut wedges in cool and warm hues.  Making the blades was fun and very quickly I had a bunch of pretty garlands. Fun and addictive!!



 Then we went for a few short vacations in Maine and, these were put aside ...

Later on, I started to play with them again and somewhere along the way, I decided to make the Dresden Plates instead of the Dancing Fan. I had this untouched Loominous bundle ... The FQs weren't big enough for the Dresden Plates, where the idea of using two different fabric as background for each Dresden Plate.


Half of the Dresden Plate was made of equal parts of cool and warm prints. The cool part of the plate was set on the warm background half and the warm part of the plate was placed on the cool background. Turns out there was more cool then warm in the Loominous bundle, so some cooler prints were used as warm ... You get the idea?

And then, I decided to add another row and ...The struggle began ... Since I used the favorite Loominous in the first nine blocks, I was left with fabrics that didn't go so well together. To make it work, I ordered more Loominous ... 


One of the things I like about this quilt is the background, I love how using prints fills the space between the Dresden Plates.


It finishes at about 60 x 80 inches. Quilting ideas are already floating in my brain ... I am thinking maybe a mix of hand quilting and FMQ ...


And here is the back ...



It's going to be fun and interesting to quilt, I will be quilting it sometimes this winter.


Linking up with:

Blossom Heart Quilts

QuiltStory

Freshly Pieced

My Quilt Infatuation




I am thrilled that my quilt was featured at Blossom Heart Quilts, QuiltStory and My Quilt Infatuation. Thank you, ladies, you spoil me this week.:-)

Sew Cute Tuesday







38 comments:

  1. Awesome quilt. Love the pretty fabrics and lots of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love that Fan Dance pattern too, it's been on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gosh! I just love this. And those blocks must be huge! Wonderful color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maryse! I loooooove this! I have to say that I'm not big fan of dresdens but this looks fantastic! I think your beautiful background fabrics makes this so unique. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol I am SO glad you cut the backs out of the Dresdens and saved that little bit of fabric. I'm sure you won't be regretting that.:) Such a fantastic quilt. Love the colors and vibrancy of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - this is stunning. Love the richness and colour in your quilt. Go for it with hand and machine quilting. I am currently working on a Liberty Dresden quilt and am thinking I will do a mix of quilting styles too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your quilt, Maryse. What a bright, cheerful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it Maryse! It's such a creative mix of colours and prints, perfect for your design. I'm sure AMH would love it too! Partly inspired by your work, I've recently purchased a Dresden ruler to try my hand at something similar one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely quilt! Such a great mix of fabrics & colours, it looks very scrappy even though it's all AMH!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt is full of so much exciting colour. I really like the result you have achieved with all the patterned fabric. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So gorgeous! Love the mix of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this is such a fun quilt. I absolutely love how bright and cheerful it is. And I really enjoyed hearing some of your design process.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vraiment magnifique ! Bel équilibre entre le fond et le motif. Je me réjouis de voir le quilting. Et j'adore tes photos de dos ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore the bright bold colours in this – both in the fans and in the backgrounds. I spotted this on the Blossom Heart Quilts linky thingy and had to pop across to admire it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Truly gorgeous...I love how the warm and cool colours make the plates seem to dance. The use of two background fabrics is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful, and such an interesting concept for a dresden quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is absolutely stunning! I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so gorgeous! Great colors and deign. I love the split backgrounds on the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. how fun...love your quilt. micki@2dogsstudio.us

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just fantastic!! I really like how you split up the background into two sections. Thanks for sharing the back too. I've really come to like the Dresden and now your idea has given me renewed inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it - this fabric range is gorgeous and well shown off in your fab quilt. Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my gosh, Maryse- just stunning!!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glorious fabrics - so beautiful, and such dimension to it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. (I realize I am a week late, but I have a hunch you don't tire of hearing people say...) THIS IS GORGEOUS! Seriously - great work and lovely job. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful Quilt. I especially appreciate seeing the picture of the back. I love the way you cut out the excess fabric. Any tips on how to do this so precisely?

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is absolutely stunning! I love everything about it! Great job with the background.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful quilt top! Your decision to combine warm and cool fabrics for the backgrounds and to place the Desden fans according to their warm and cool colours on the opposite background was inspired. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This quilt is spectacular! I love the way the backgrounds play together.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This made my jaw drop Maryse and it is still hanging open. That makes it easier to drool... hee hee. You are the most amazing person at knowing how to use color! I love everything about this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is just gorgeous! thanks for the linky to Janome/ AMH vieo--I am thinking of making a dresden for my Granddaughter's going to College quilt and this really caught my eye. i like your pieced backgrounds a whole lot..just lovely...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  31. Like everyone else commenting, I LOVE your quilt!! I have a question. How did you attach the dresdens to the background? I see from the back view that the background fabric isn't behind the dresden, so I'm curious about your technique. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I. LOVE. THIS. QUILT.!!!! Absolutely everything about it.

    ReplyDelete