Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Six Pointed Star {Star of David} Finished

I named this quilt "Star of David" ... A different name would have been nonsensical knowing the story behind this quilt. I made this one for a dear friend of ours that was diagnosed with leukemia some years ago. He has been blessed to be part of a new drug trial and so far, he is doing really really well. He says he was born under The Star of David (it is believed to bring protection and good luck); and he doesn't miss any opportunity to remind us and, it is often the subject of laughter ... Couldn't have a better name!








I can't tell you how much he loves his quilt, he must have thanked me a hundred times and said: “You have no idea what this means to me, it's one of the best gifts I ever received”. He even sent me flowers ... I think I nailed this one!!



***



Some facts about this quilt:


Name: Star of David
Size: ? (I completely forgot to take the measurements)
Fabrics: Handcrafted by Alison Glass, Kaffe Fassett's Shot Cotton and Cherry Cotton Couture by Michael Miller as background.
Backing and Binding: Kaffe Fassett's Shot Cotton in (? ... It's been too long since I bought the fabric, I don't remember)
Pattern: No pattern were used, I made a rough sketch using an equilateral triangle grid I printed online.
Quilting: Spiral design in red. 
Batting: Cotton
Finished: October 2015


*** To read more about this quilt, you can access all related posts by clicking on Star of David in the Labels section on the sidebar of my blog, all relevant posts will come up.


Linking up with: 















2015 FAL - Q4
(See the original finish proposal HERE

28 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Very vibrant, bright, and joyful. Hope your friend continues to do well. I inherited an antique quilt top that used red for the background, and, like yours, you just can't help but have happy thoughts when you see it. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this quilt must be so cherished--I love the Alison glass fabrics--just got a few myself...the title is perfect!! It must make you feel so good to have made this for your friend....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! Love the red especially. It makes it bright and happy. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful use of the Alison Glass fabrics, the colours are wonderfully festive. The quilting is lovely also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special quilt as sometimes this is what being able to make a quilt is all about. I love the brightness you created in the colour palette. I am sure it is well treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful quilt and a special gift! I know it will be treasured by your friend. So glad to hear he is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful quilt! I am sure it will be very much loved and cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maryse! This quilt became gorgeus! Red background looks awesome with the stars! Really beautiful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the happy colours in this - for some reason it reminds me the circus too - fun and a wonderful present to give!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out so fabulous Maryse! the quilting is perfect and I love the way you did the zig zagged sides!
    That is happy news that your friends is doing so well! He is going to cherish this quilt, even more so with the Stars of David!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really pretty with the red background. Nice story too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful fabrics = beautiful quilt! Good to hear your friend is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great quilt...loves the stars. It's bright and cheerful. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh! I love it when I see an unusual colour combination that totally works. Fushia, purple, yellow and blue on a red background? who would have thought? Obviously, you did, and it rocks! Superbe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is SO bright and fun! I would never have thought to pair those fabrics with red, but it works surprisingly well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the fabrics and your quilting, looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the colours... so bold and rich. And I'm sure the extra love you have sewn into it will bring your friend comfort for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I smiled as I read the story behind the naming of this quilt! How perfect that you could bless your friend with such a beautiful quilt so aptly named!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The red background makes the other colours pop, and I like how you have left some edges 'pointy' with partial diamonds. No wonder your friend is thrilled.
    I am so glad to hear he is doing well and responding to the treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. dropped by to say "hi" from Sew Cute Tuesday, love this quilt, the colours, that you chose not to square up the sides and most of all the story behind the quilt, just fabulous - Chris @madebyChrissieD :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is a gorgeous quilt! I hope your friend continues to do well.

    I'd love it if you linked this gorgeous quilt up to And Sew We Craft Together >> http://www.andsewwecraft.com/2015/11/and-sew-we-craft-together-linky-party-nov-18th/

    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a wonderful quilt! Very inspiring both in it's making and in the story of the recipient. It must have taken some concentration and a good design wall to keep all those triangles in the right places!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful finish with amazing photos. The spiral quilting was a good choice, giving the quilt great movement.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I found your post on Sew Cute Tuesday. A wonderful story and a quilt to match. Love the fabric choices on the red. I just mailed a surprise quilt to a friend with continuing health issues, wish I could see her open it. Your story touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've admired this quilt since you first started making it. I love the strong colours, and the crisp, clear design. It looks beautiful now it is quilted and finished. That zig zag edge is very clever and unique too. It certainly sounds like your friend appreciates your generosity and thoughtfulness. A beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous - I love your colours and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love, love, love this quilt. Beautiful colors and story. I wish your friend the best!!!

    ReplyDelete