Sunday, December 6, 2015

Quilty365

Today is all about Quilty365; I am a bit late to join the December party but as they say, better late then never. Quilty365 is a fun Quilt-A-Long hosted by Audrey at Quilty Folk. You can read all about it HERE and you can click HERE to see what everyone else is doing. It's not too late to join, you can jump in at any time!

I can't tell you how much I love this project; I look forward every day to make my "squircles".
Making the circles has become part of my daily routine. It doesn't take much of my time to make them; just about about 20-25 min. to make a complete circle unit each day and I still have plenty of time to work on my other projects.


My journey began on November 5th and today is day 32, so far I have been keeping up with this project, and I have now 33 circles ... (circle for tomorrow included in the picture). My plan is to keep it simple, and hopefully, I will have a quilt to show by the end of 2016, early 2017.



Here is how I prepare my "Squircles".

To prepare my circles, I use two templates, the first one is made out of plastic, this one has a 1/4" seam allowance added all around and I use it to trace the circle onto the fabric. The second one is made of a recycled cardboard box, and this one represents the finished size of my circle and I use it to press the edge under.


 Once I picked my fabric, I trace my circle onto the fabric using the plastic template, then cut on that line. I do a quick running stitch at about 1/8" from the edge all around the circle (see blue circle), making sure I leave a 2" tail on both ends. 
To press the seam allowance under, I use the template made out of cardboard, I place the template on the wrong side of the circle then pull both threads and press. Remove the template, you might need to pull the threads again to put it back in place, I do a final press. Some people like to use starch; I don't find it necessary. I don't remove the basting thread; I cut the tails after it's been sewed, at the same time I remove the extra fabric in the back.



    Alternative method with the sewing machine.

    You can also do this step with the sewing machine but beware that some machine are capricious and doesn't like to do this.  This is the method I used to prepare all my clamshells when I made my clamshell quilt; once you get the hang of it, you can do this fast. I set the stitch length at 5 (this is the longest stitch on my machine) then I sew all around the circle at about 1/8" from the edge leaving tails at both ends.

    *When I do this step, I always sew on the wrong side of the fabric, that way I know the thread from the bobbin is going to be on the right side of the fabric. *The thread from the bobbin is always easier to pull. A good trick to help you differentiate the top thread from the bobbin thread is is to use different thread colors.

    Once you sewed all around, lay your circle wrong side up and move the threads on that side out of the way towards the middle as shown in the picture. (Remember the thread from the bobbin is on the right side of the fabric).


    Place the cardboard template on top of the circle then pull on one thread, one side at the time, until half the edge is turned over. Then, pull on the other thread until all the entire edge is turned over. Press and carefully remove the template, you might have to pull the thread again to put the edge back into place then do a final press.



    Again, I don't remove the basting thread; I cut the tails after my circle is applied to the background fabric at the same time I remove the extra fabric in the back.
    Et voilà, your circle is ready to sew.



    I then lay it on my red background square, I pin and stitch it in place with a ladder stitch. The stitch is almost invisible, I have been sewing all appliqués with a red thread, you can barely see the stitches.


     Then I carefully remove the extra layer of fabric in the back and cut the tails.



    There it is!

    *For the Instagrammer ... There is a #quilty365, I have been posting progress on IG, it's another fun way to follow and interact with other circle makers.



Linking up a bit late ... with Audrey at Quilty Folk:










16 comments:

  1. Hi Maryse! I love your project! Thank you for the tutorial as there was few steps I was wondering how you work. What about all those 'left over' red circles? They could be an other project with changing background fabrics. Or perhaps raw edge applique project. Happy sewings! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I have really been loving hand appliqué lately, so these definitely caught my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this project - me, who refused anything to do with appliqué!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't tell a soul, but I think yours, with the red background, yours may be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Squircles" LOL
    Thank you for explaining how you make those squircles Maryse! I love how all your fabrics look against the red background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for showing us your technique for making your appliques. Like so many others, I love your red background fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I just LOVE the red background and your squircle shape. I make my circles in a similar manner...cardboard template and basting around the outside of the circle and pulling closed around the template. I'm just not as precise with the 1/4 all around and eyeball it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your squircles are fabulous! Thankyou for the tutorial, you make it seem really easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red is such a lively background color! I'm so glad you're using it. And your squircle is charming. I'm using a purchased template to practice making more circular circles. Not necessary but thought it would be a challenge for me. I press mine with starch and am not happy. It's bending the plastic. Your cardboard sounds much better. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is going to be amazing! Love the simple design! Good for you keeping up with it, it isn't always easy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your red backgrounds - great choice. I did a similar project in 2013 with a 4" heart block every day for a year. It was a lot of fun - Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just took a picture of a runner I made for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I last took a picture of a quilt kit I had just bought!

    hulseybg at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love seeing your progress and your process. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete