Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Bob Dylan Pixel Quilt {Finished}






I finished this quilt right in time on the evening of December 23, just in time to be given to my husband a few hours later for his birthday. Oh, I scored big time!!

I have worked on this quilt since last October. I haven't talked much about it here for the reason that I was trying to keep it secret; not an easy thing to do when your husband works most exclusively from home. So I was glad when he had to go away for a week last fall. Turns out, this quilt was a bit more work that I first anticipated and I was able to piece only half of the top while he was gone; the rest was mostly sewed in the early morning hours while he was still in bed. 

I had in mind some ideas for the quilting, and finally narrow it down to matchstick quilting. My quilt shop has an older longarm machine you can rent (after taking a class of course). I took the class in the past, but I had been practicing on muslin only, this was my first project on a longarm but how hard could it be to make horizontal lines??

I was glad and relief when I first took it out of the dryer, it was so much better that I expected, and it does have a wonderful texture. :-)  That been said, straight line quilting isn't my thing but this I must admit I like very very much and will do this again for sure. My husband says the texture of the quilt reminds him of the Catalogue Blankets my mom used to make.



Some facts about this quilt:

Name: Bob Dylan
Size: 54x72" inches
Fabrics: Kona Cotton in Moss, Pewter, Ash, Oyster, Steel, Natural, Med. Grey, Coal, Shadow, Bone, Charcoal, Pepper and Ivory.
Backing Fabric: Supra in Red Chianti by Alexander Henry
Binding: Kona Cotton in Pepper
Pattern: I used YouPatch online pixelating program to create this quilt; It's amazing! You get a detailed pattern with complete instructions and fabric requirements in Kona Cotton in just a few seconds.
Quilting: Matchstick quilting by me.
Batting: 100% Cotton - Warm and Natural
Finished: December 2015




Linking up with Adrianne @On the Windy Side for the 2015 Finish-Along - Q4 Finishes. 
You can see (See the original finish proposal HERE)







20 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! What a great quilting gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Maryse, this looks incredible! I've done pixel quilts before as well and I can completely understand how much work is involved, even though it's just a lot of chain piecing. There's a lot of just counting which row/column you're in, haha! I think you chose the perfect photo, solids, background and even quilting design. It's so sweet of you to have pieced some in the early morning while he slept. I'm really impressed;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fantastic! Pixel quilts amaze me, so much work must be involved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun. Love the stitching texture! I bet it was so difficult to keep it a secret!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vraiment impressionnant ! Et tellement différent de ce que tu fais d'habitude ! Félicitations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible! just the gift for a Dylan fan and for a man - bet he was over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely fantastic! Such an awesome present for your husband! Kudos to you for all that dense quilting, I'm sure that took quite a bit of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first thought when I saw your quilt was WOW! Just WOW!!! You are an amazing quilter! Your husband is a lucky man...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa! Maryse, this is fantastic! Love the matchstick quilting too! So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I bet you scored big time! So much love in each stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This is so amazing! Your matchstick quilting is fabulous and I love the backing fabric too. I cannot wait to show my step-mom this quilt. She's a huge Dylan fan and she's going to flip when she sees this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an amazing quilt! I can only imagine how hard it was to keep it secret from your husband! Brilliant...love the backing! A great ode to the good old days!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is really cool! Not surprised it was a big hit. I admire you matchstick quilting this big a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!!! Love that the first photo is of it Blowin' In The Wind! A fabulous gift to keep your husband feeling Forever Young!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing! I think pixel quilts are so cool and I especially have a fondness for Bob Dylan. Your husband is a lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic! What an amazing effort between the piecing and the matchstick quilting. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sneaky sewing can be tricky. Congratulations on an amazing surprise.
    P.S. I love the backing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just saw your Bob Dylan quilt. It is amazing. My first husband is a huge Bob Dylan fan. I've been drug to a few Dylan concerts. We've heard when he appeared to be very high and when he appeared to be sober. When he appeared to be sober, I read the review the next day in the paper and had not recognized songs that I should have the previous night.
    All of your quilts are beautiful. You do amazing work! I'm glad I found a link to you!

    ReplyDelete