Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Two by Four - A Quilt for a Baby Girl

First finish of the year!!


One of my daughter's good friend just had a baby girl. I didn't really want to start another quilt, but I was itching to make something for her, and this is the kind of occasion you can hardly pass. So I thought I could squeeze in something quick and easy. I made a Two by Four Quilt; you can find the tutorial HERE. It was fun and fast; the top was finished in no time!


I used fabrics from my stash. I made my blocks a bit smaller than the tutorial to fit a smaller size quilt. Then, I added a border, it's very subtle, perhaps you haven't noticed it?



Backing, Free Spirit Designer Voile; first time using it and not the last time.


The scrappy binding is made out of different fabrics used in the quilt.



Quilting: Working on one column at the time, I used a disappearing purple marking pen to trace the football shape inside each four rectangle grid in the quilt pattern. Starting at the top, working my way down with my walking foot, I followed the line as in a figure 8 pattern.


Quilt stats:

Size: 36 X 48.5 inches
Pattern: "Two by Four" block tutorial by FITF
Fabrics: From my stash, Bloomsbury Garden Liberty Life Style and some floral by Lecien.
Backing: Free Spirit Designer Voile in Robin.
Batting: Warm & Natural
Quilting thread: Superior Threads King Tut 40wt in White Linen #971
Finished: May 2016



Linking up with:

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation for NTT
Quokka Quilts for TGIFF
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday
Blossom Heart Quilts for Sew Cute Tuesday







13 comments:

  1. How soft and pretty Maryse! I didn't notice the border until you pointed it out. I'm very curious about using voile as a backing fabric. The curvy quilting makes a beautiful design within the quilt. Your daughter's friend will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet baby quilt. Your photos show it off so well. It looks so cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect little quilt for a little girl - love the simple pattern, which shows off the lovely colors.
    Preeti.
    http://sewpreeetiquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That will be a happy little girl - great quilt and I really like the way that it's been quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely. It already looks so cuddly... for a baby girl, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so soft and cuddly and pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A quick and easy quilt?! I need more of those in the queue! Tell me more about the backing ... Did the voile affect how you quilted the project?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what beautiful colours! It's gorgeous, it looks like a summer's day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the soft colors and florals in this, so sweet and pretty! The quilting works well with this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely baby quilt, Maryse! I love the look of the scrappy binding. That's one thing I've been terrified to try, all those extra seam allowances!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this one! The quilting gives a lot of interest. Perfect for busting scraps!! Found you through "Crazy Mom quilts"

    ReplyDelete