Thursday, July 14, 2016

A Quilt For Pulse










This quilt will be donated to the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild for their Charity Drive; they are collecting quilts and blocks for the victims of the mass shooting at Pulse Nightclub that happened on June 12. You can read about it HERE.

Rainbow hearts was the theme and the Heart Block by Allison at Cluck Cluck Sew was one of the blocks that were suggested, it's the one I chose to make.

They called for bright rainbow colors, and that's pretty much the closest I could get to a rainbow quilt from the fabrics I had brought with me ... I had also taken with me a few low volume FQs that I used as background. I bought the fabric for the backing, but everything else came directly from what I already had in my big black traveling bag. I had not planned on making a whole quilt, it just happened. I started with six blocks, and I kept doing more and finally decided to make the whole quilt. I am so happy I did!

Quilting: Using the walking foot, I started in the center and worked towards the outside, I made horizontal and vertical lines to create an irregular grid. I made a scrappy binding using the low volume scraps from the background. For the backing I used a wide solid backing by Robert Kaufman in bright orange. Almost ready to ship, all that's left to do is a label.



Linking up with:

 Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation
Crazy Mom Quilts



6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt! Those that "just happen" are often the very best ones. I especially like the way you quilted it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a terrific quilt, colorful but in a slightly more subtle way than some I've seen. There will be someone that adores it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt! Someone is going to be thrilled to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful quilt Maryse. you used some wonderful fabrics in it. I really like the way you quilted it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful quilt, Maryse. I'm sure that whoever receives it will be reassured that, despite the evil and hate that happened in Orlando, LOVE ALWAYS WINS. The kindness of strangers is so very powerful in times of darkness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the low volume fabrics in the background - this turned out lovely and I'm sure will be well loved.

    ReplyDelete